Today's guest is Kara Cutruzzula: a writer and editor, a playwright, a musical theater lyricist, and the author of both DO IT FOR YOURSELF and DO IT TODAY: An Encouragement Journal. Her long-running must-read newsletter Brass Ring Daily, about work and creativity, has been featured in Lifehacker, Inc., TIME, and Vanity Fair — which called it "a life coach in your inbox".
Today we talk about:
- Kara's specific advice for actually "enjoying the process" and "trusting the journey" in your work and life
- How/why we diminish our own excitement about projects and milestones, and how to keep some of that joy for yourself
- Why Katie sometimes feels like she experiences an existential crisis when she hits her goals, and Kara's way of countering that feeling
- Finding your collaborators and champions, how to reach out to people whose work you admire when it feels scary to — plus Kara's exact "in" line — and where the heck to actually find them
- Kara's unique take on why hearing NO is sometimes the best thing you can hear
- The reason Kara doesn't actually write with a reader in mind, and how it's helped the longevity of Brass Ring Daily
Brass Ring Daily
Do It Today podcast
BUY Do It Today: An Encouragement Journal
BUY Do It For Yourself
Love the WANTcast? Share it with a friend, subscribe, and leave a review on Apple Podcasts telling people why you love it.
Find us at womenagainstnegativetalk.com
Follow Katie on Instagram and Twitter @katiehorwitch, or visit katiehorwitch.com